Mix up the regular holiday fare at your next party or family gathering with this coffee rubbed steak!
Coffee Rubbed Steak
2 tbsp. ancho chili powder
2 tbsp. finely ground coffee beans
5 tsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. hot smoked Spanish paprika
1½ tsp. dried oregano
1½ tsp. black pepper
1½ tsp. ground coriander
1½ tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. chile de árbol powder (or ¾ tsp. finely ground red pepper flakes)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more
2 16-ounce boneless NY strip steaks (about 1 in. thick)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
• In a small bowl, mix ancho chili, coffee, brown sugar, paprika, oregano, pepper, coriander, mustard, chile de árbol, ginger, and 1 tbsp. salt.
• Season steaks with salt, then coat with 5 tsp. coffee rub per steak. Place steaks on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet. Chill uncovered 3–6 hours.
• For quick and even cooking, let steaks come to room temperature for 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook steaks on each side about 2 minutes for a nice crust.
• Transfer skillet to oven. Cook steaks until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 120° for medium-rare, about 5 minutes.
• Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let sit for 10 minutes. Slice ½” thick.
(adapted from bonappetit.com)