The cold weather is upon us, and it’s time to get your home winterized to keep yourself, your loved ones, and your investments safe, secure and operating properly. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Use our handy checklist to help stay warm and dry!
1. Disconnect hoses and turn off water, sprinkler systems and fountains to prevent the lines from freezing and bursting.
2. Cover patio furniture and appliances, such as grills, to prevent rust.
3. Consider a fresh coat of sealer for your deck, this will help it weather the freeze/thaw cycle of winter.
4. Drain the gas from your lawn mower.
5. Clean gutters and down spouts to prevent ice buildup. Install leaf guards to keep gutters clear.
6. Have your chimneys inspected, and cleaned if needed.
7. Cover your air conditioning condensing unit.
8. Have your roof inspected and replace any loose or missing shingles.
9. Buy a good snow shovel and/or blower and ice melt before the big weather hits.
1. Inspect wood stoves, fireplaces, and flues before use.
2. Protect pipes in unheated spaces, such as attics and crawlspaces, from freezing by insulating them.
3. Check doors and windows for leaks and drafts, and apply weather stripping or caulk as needed.
4. Heating system:
a. Have vents and ducts professionally cleaned.
b. Make sure you have enough fuel on hand.
c. Replace your air filter regularly.
d. Install carbon monoxide detectors.
Here’s to a safe and healthy winter for everyone!